Summary of outcomes for Data Standard 3.2
- Problem Addressed: StudentEducationOrganizationResponsibilityAssociation definition is vague for overall purpose of the association.
- High-level Reasoning: The phrase "other than how the state views enrollment" is problematic in limiting this to state use cases and "any" type of relationship.
- Changes Made: Updated the definition to be "This association indicates a relationship between a student and an education organization other than an enrollment relationship, and generally indicating some kind of responsibility of the education organization for the student. Enrollment relationship semantics are covered by StudentSchoolAssociation."
Original ticket description follows:
The current definition of StudentEdOrgResponsibilityAssociation is poorly-written and vague:
This association indicates any relationship between a student and an education organization other than how the state views enrollment. Enrollment relationship semantics are covered by StudentSchoolAssociation.
Problematic is the phrase: "other than how the state views enrollment"**
- usage of this entity could (and likely should) extend beyond state use cases
- the wording is tortured - perhaps it should say "other than an enrollment relationship"
- the use of the term "any" is misleading - this association should not be for "any" relationship, but scoped for ones relating to explicit responsibilities (for example, would you capture here that the student "wants to attend" the named EdOrg - from the definition, such semantics would be allowed)